• Countdown to Jan 21, 2007: Suppliers Hunt

    Suppliers Hunt

    Thursday, February 23, 2006
    Videographer Hunt:

    The search for videographer has already ended before it even began. I have to say, I trusted my instict on this.

    I was eyeing for Jason Magbanua for the longest time. Even when wedding preps haven't officially started, I have always been a big fan of his works. God must have forgotten to turn off the talent-sprinkler while Jason was in the making. One of his videos that I remembered by heart was the Guru AVP made for a couple (Indian dance) - it was FUNNY! I even recommended it to my officemates while we were conceptualizing a program for our Christmas Party last year. Everybody just burst into laughter and decided to put up our rendition of that video with the exact lines and dance moves. I knew from the start getting Jason will cost us an arm and a leg. His rate as of last bridal fair in SM Megamall (Feb 17-19, 2006) was 65 grand. And everything has to be paid in full. I knew immediately Mr. D won't let me have the luxury to get Jason. So even before meeting the man, I know I have to bid goodbye.

    After scrapping the idea of getting Jason, the next team popped-up in a snap - Threelogy. I attended Liezl and Sherjiff's wedding last year and they were the ones who took care of the video coverage. My impression on them that time was they were a bunch of wacky guys and surely knows how to let the guests participate in video shooting with less discomfort. I later read in their website that they were once assistants of Jason as well, so I assume they must have the Magbanua style in their videos too. Their rates are by far the best - cheapest with the most number of 3CCD cameras. On top of that, they also offer promo during the bridal fair for free use of LCD projector + screen when we get Wedding Coverage + any AVP + 50% instant downpayment. We will need to rent LCD Projectors in the future anyways, so might as well grab the deal. It's as if we get the AVP for free. So last Friday (1st day of bridal fair) I dragged Mr. D out from work at 5pm and rushed to SM Megamall to book them (without meeting them even once). I was afraid anyone could book them at our wedding date during the fair so I couldn't wait till Sunday (as we first planned). As I said, I trusted my instinct on this. I know we'll be in good hands. We signed the contract right there and then with Jon and Bong. It was only then I remembered Bong was the wacky guy taking our videos during Liezl's wedding. hehe.. Both of them are nice and easy to deal with. In fact, I'm a little bit uncomfortable with Mr. D getting into too much details with the contract. Because we don't want our face displayed anywhere and everywhere, we asked Threelogy to please get our agreement before using our video as samples. They immediately agreed to our request but Mr. D insisted that they put that clause in the contract. I trust Threelogy for their words because of their reputation in W@w so I didn't bother to ask them to put it in paper. I understand Mr. D was just trying to be cautious so I just 'gently' asked Bong to put that clause which he agreed without complaints. After contract signing, I asked Mr. D not to be so mataray when dealing with suppliers and trust me on the way I deal with them coz I have done my research prior to getting into a deal. And besides, we need to be more gentle so that we could ask for more freebies. I hope he will be less mataray next time when dealing with suppliers. Ayaw ko naman isipin nila na kapag Chinese matataray talaga, which is sadly the impression of most suppliers with Chinese customers/guests.


    Photographer Hunt 3: John Mateos Ong (Imagine-nation)

    I put Jong in our shortlist of photographers for his competitive rates and photography skills. After browsing through his website, I decided to set up a meeting with him to see his albums. We weren't able to meet due to his busy schedule so we decided to just drop by his booth at the bridal fair. We got to meet him and saw his works. John is nice and accomodating. I got a little bit convinced with his pictures as he market them as good photos even without photoshop. Bright and crisp images -- just exactly what I want.


    Hair and Make-up Stylist Hunt 1: Madge Lejano

    I've heard constant praises from the W@w community regarding Madge's work. She's on top of my HMU list actually. I saw her works from fellow wawies who shared their pictures online and was able to see samples from her laptop as well. She's nice naman. She even accompanied us to the booth of Threelogy when I said we were thinking about booking them na. Barkada na yata sila because of constantly bumping into each other on weddings. She said, sobrang kulit siguro ng team kung John + Madge + Threelogy will be in our wedding. Hm.. that's a good sign actually coz I want our wedding to be as cozy as possible. I want to have good relationship with our suppliers.. yung parang friends lang kami. I still have other HMUAs in mind (such as Toto Bagamasbad, Tonette Chua, etc) but Madge still remains as my first priority. Wawies have feedbacks din (even Veluz) that she's good with Chinita brides. Esep esep muna coz I could get Tonette Chua at a lower rate.


    Bridal Gown Hunt: Veluz Reyes

    I think everyone in the W@w community knows Veluz coz she sells like hotcakes! She's that famous! She's famous not only for her superb work, but also for her attitude. I'm hoping inside my heart that I could also be a Veluz bride. I was able to talk to her assistant Niko weeks before for an appointment. But on the day itself, I was informed that Veluz's sick so we have to move the date. A week past and I haven't received any texts from Niko yet. Eksakto last Monday Mr. D didn't report for work (SL kuno) so we decided to ask Veluz if we can visit her. I called up Veluz's number but asked for Niko since he was the one I previously talked to. Niko's not around but it was Veluz who answered the phone. She remembered my name!! I heard a lot of praises about Veluz's attitude before but didn't expect na she would remember my name e we haven't talked even once. She said she'll be at Las Pinas at 5pm. But upon knowing that we're from Binondo, nahiya naman siya papuntahin pa kami all the way to Las Pinas. I said ok lang... excited na kasi ako mameet siya. So again, Mr. D and I had another escapade, this time sa south naman.

    We reached Veluz's place at exactly 5pm and saw her daughter playing at the garage. I knew she was her daughter kasi parang mini-me siya ni Veluz! We greeted her at kinukulit ko na siya kasi she's so cute. Tapos nadapa siya! Waaah.. I thought she's gonna cry.. buti nalang hindi. hehe.. hindi pa naman ako marunong magcomfort ng kids. Veluz welcomed us after a short while. Chika to the max na upon meeting each other, as if we've known each other for a long time. HEHE.. She asked me if I have any designs in mind. I said wala coz I want her to design for me.. kung ano ang babagay sa akin. I just mentioned the gown of Cynch that I really liked. So she sketched a gown that look like Cynch's at first. Hm.. not for me yata. So she sketch another one, mas classy ang dating. Hm.. parang too complicated. Then another one based on the size of my boob... nya nya nya.. she said mas bagay ang V neck and spaghetti straps coz makitid ang katawan ko plus maliit ang boobs ko! (ouch!)... but I like the design. Pero parang hindi pa rin. I told her I want to look young and flushing.. like a teenage bride... sweet and charming. Hehe.. sabi ko I wanna look younger than Mr. D!!! She said e kasi naman ang totoy ng itsura ni Mr. D!!! Sabay okray sa kanya na he's so F4 kasi lalo na with his hairstyle! haha.. Asar talo si Mr. D... the next minute she's calling him Vanness na! HAHAHA... Ang kulit din netong si Veluz. With that in mind, she sketched me the 4th design... ayan, I think I kinda like it more kasi tube. Hehe... ewan ko ba, I'm just so obsessed with tubes. Siguro mas mukha kasi akong matangkad at payat sa tube... mas nae-emphasize ang long neck ko (kahit na Mr. D is always making fun of me na I look like a giraffe daw! grrrr... ). So I asked na for quotation. She quoted me prices that includes labor and materials, and also pure labor lang. She said she can refer me to her suppliers where she gets the raw materials so I can buy the materials myself para mas mura. E since malapit lang naman daw ako sa divisoria, I can get even lower prices pa! Ang bait bait talaga niya!!! She gave me 3 quotations for different types of cloth - Italian Satin, Pina Cocoon, and Pina. WOWW! Ang mahal!! The cheapest is almost half my budget for the entire bride, groom, entourage, and parents' apparel!!! I didn't haggle muna at that moment medyo nahihiya pa kasi ako. But I told her I have to think it over kasi I don't want to spend too much on the gown coz Mr. D's side is going to pay for the entire wedding. She said no problem and even suggested that I can have a simplier gown with less beadworks that could fit into my budget. She said she can work that out for me. I didn't tell her my budget though para bumaba pa yun price.

    On the way home, I didn't speak even a word coz my mind was fully occupied with budget budget budget and Veluz's gown. I really want to be a Veluz bride, lalo na after meeting her. Mr. D said it's quite pricey and maybe we could try quoting with other gown designers first before deciding. Edward Teng quoted us a lower price kasi for the bridal gown (pero siyempre kasi wedding package). When I reached home, I immediately flipped through the bridal magazines hoping to find a design with simplier beadworks so that I can have Veluz to quote for me again... sana mas mura. Exakto, I saw a design that matches her last sketch for me. Nagkaroon ako instantly ng idea how the gown would look like coz at first medyo nahihirapan pa ako ivisualize by just looking at the sketch. I immediately sent Veluz those pictures and asked her feedback on it. I was hoping the cloth used for that gown will not be pricey... sana naman wag pina. She immediately replied to my email the following day and said that the gown's PERFECT!! Nakakabata daw tignan yun.. bagay na bagay sa akin. And fortunately, it's not made of pina but tulle... yun usually ginagamit sa flower arrangement sa aisle ng church. She said she'll send me another quotation. Sana puwede pa ako tumawad... I so love the gown... parang gusto ko yun na at si Veluz na!! Geesh.. overly excited na naman ako. Ninu ninu.. waiting for Veluz's email pa till now... and again.. excited.
    Designs Veluz sketched for me
    3rd Sketch
    4th Sketch
    Gown from Bridal Magazine that ensembles Sketch 4

    Photographer Hunt 4: Mimi and Karl (Fotogra)

    Met up with Mimi and Karl at their new office (Congressional) last Monday after visiting Veluz. Grabe, tour of Manila na naman kami.. from Las Pinas to QC! I've seen their pictures in their blog site before so 2 familiar faces welcomed us as we knocked on their doors. Wow, their office is all new! Mimi said we're first to visit their office. hehehe... I find them kinda shy... just like my first impression on Dino when we met. Hehe Mimi's so soft spoken... kahit na she seems to be so kulit in her blog. I love their work from the start... lalo na upon seeing Aggie's wedding pictures. I like how detailed they are when taking pictures... everything's just work of art. I love their layout on Aggie's album!! Ang cute!! I'm kinda contemplating on their rates pero sulit pa rin sa kanila coz they got a lot of freebies in their package. And with their reputation and constant award winning pictures, I can say I trust them. But then again, it boils down to the battle of quality vs value. So I have to think it over.



    Photographer Hunt 5: Nelwin Uy

    When I was drafting my shortlist of photographers to consider, I didn't know about Nelwin Uy yet. I just heard about him through friends' referral. I saw some of his raw shots from my friend's online wedding album. Due to limitations of webshots and resizing of pictures, the pictures weren't that clear. I happen to browse through Nelwin's website yesterday and saw Liezl and Sherjiff's wedding album... the pictures and layout look great!! I can say at par with Dino's Layout. And they offer affordable packages with a lot of freebies plus discounts for wawies!! Another plus for me is the fact that we get the raw files of their album layouts and guestbook as well. Not all photographers give their layouts in CDs that are in printable format.... that's a big big factor for me. That way, you can reproduce your album elsewhere para mura. And I love his prenups album... tempting tempting tempting...


    Reality Check:

    After having an idea of how things will cost with different suppliers in mind, I started to recompute our budget for the wedding. Sad to say, we'll be out of the budget I stick to my first priorities. Mr. D will constantly remind me to stick with the budget coz we still have to spend for the house, renovation, furnitures and appliances. I got sad... I've always planned to get the suppliers of my choice... and I was once confident that we could book them all (basta ba available sila). But because of an unexpected expense, a lot of my savings won't be available anymore for the wedding. Siyempre I won't expect Mr. D and his family to pay for everything I want nakakahiya naman. Kahit na yun sobra sa budget ako nalang magshoulder sana, but seems like hindi ko rin kaya for now. Sabay sabay kasi ang expenses... :(
    Wala pa akong alternative kay Veluz so far coz we have yet to meet other gown designers to know if they offer lower rates than Veluz. Medyo napaisip-isip na rin ako, at least now I know what kind of gown I want. Basta magawa lang yun gown siguro I can sacrifice nalang not getting Veluz to do it for me, kahit na gustong gusto ko siya ang gumawa. Iba talaga ang pampered by Veluz.

    On the lighter note, I got to read Liezl's post on Kan-chiu again... the story on how she was able to put up her wedding in 2 weeks time. I got inspired again. If she was able to keep her cool during wedding preps, maybe I should constantly remind myself to be as patient and as positive as her as well. I still have 10 months to scout for suppliers anyway so there's really no need to panic. Sana, after photog hunt, I think I'll be able to relax for a while.
    On the happier note, Mr. D gave me an engagement ring!! Story in the next post... too sleepy already. ;)

    Labels:

    posted by frecklesspeckles at 11:54 PM | Permalink |

    [ back home ]

    Comments for Suppliers Hunt
    Naku, Wanda, ganyan din ako nung una, gusto ko LAHAT ung pinaka best...pero un nga lang ung gusto, napakamahal din. U still have 10 months to go, kakayanin pa yan ng ipon. Im not being a kunsintidora ha, pero I can fully understand your feelings as we, brides, can only be brides ONCE. Make the most out of it. Dont settle for second best. But learn to compromise.

    May office na pala sila Mimi, hindi ko alam :D Hehehe.Goodluck with choosing! If only we can afford Dino and Jason no? Pero 3logy is good, promise, matagal lang talaga delivery sa final product!


    Name:
    Location: Toronto, Canada

    While current technology doesn't provide a way to permanently zap my freckles, I will learn to love them for the meantime.

    Unbelievable as it may seem, we're finally tying the knot on Jan 21, 2007. This is an online journal that documents every tidbits of our wedding preparation as we savour every moment of it.

    W@Wies & N@Wies

    Credits

      Distributed by:
    Template copyright :
    V4NY ONLY TEMPLATES
    Powered by :
    Powered by Blogger