• Countdown to Jan 21, 2007: Mano Po - our version

    Mano Po - our version

    Friday, March 31, 2006
    It's Granny's burial today. I didn't attend coz Ma said Dragons born in 1976 should avoid going to hospitals and burials. I broke the first rule by visiting Granny almost every other day during her 3 week stay in the hospital. I'm glad Ma wasn't strict this time. Instead she allowed me to go to the Paz almost everyday, provided that I don't look at Granny. Oh well, I think what matters is the presence, and of course how you pay respect to the departed one. I'm so glad of Ma's initiative to go to the Paz with me. She even cooked Kiampeng and Machuy Soup for everybody during our second visit. And the food was a lot!! As in a lot... ika nga nila.. bottomless ang kiampeng. I hope that impressed Dex's clan. His relatives keep raving about Ma's cooking skills! Unfortunately, I don't think I have inherited her gene's in this aspect. I don't know how to cook! geesh! Anyways, back to the topic, I'm also glad that she got along well with Dex's parents and other elder relatives. I was introduced to their friends as Dexter's fiance (READ: fee-yan-say!). hahaha...

    Everytime friends would visit, the first question they'll ask is "pano na yun kasal?" As some of you might know, kapag may namatay sa family (elder), children/apo who wants to get married should do so within 100 days or they'll have to wait for 2-3 years, until the grief period is over. Well, both families haven't formally talked about it yet, but I heard the wedding will continue as planned *thank God*. Well, super pasalamat ko talaga kay God na naging super open-minded ang parents namin this time. Nakakatouch talaga. I don't know why, basta na-touch lang ako. :)

    The past week reminded me of several scenes in "Mano Po" and "Crying Ladies" -- these two movies fully reflected the distinctiveness of chinese culture through funerals. It's weird coz the wake became sort of like meet and greet sessions for both families. hehe...

    Labels:

    posted by frecklesspeckles at 9:31 PM | Permalink |

    [ back home ]

    Comments for Mano Po - our version
    Grabe pala no, pure Chinese kayonmg dalawa kaya ganun kastrict kayo sa beliefs. Im glad though that the wedding will push through, will you be having the formal engagement party too? :D Heehee....double parties! Exciting!!

    :) pero whether Fil-Chi or Filipino lang, wakes and funerals talaga become this sort of family reunion no?

    anyway, amazed pa din ako sa dami ng mga beliefs ng Chinese and mga rituals kumbaga over so many things...

    im happy for you that they're letting your wedding continue on your planned date! :)


    Name:
    Location: Toronto, Canada

    While current technology doesn't provide a way to permanently zap my freckles, I will learn to love them for the meantime.

    Unbelievable as it may seem, we're finally tying the knot on Jan 21, 2007. This is an online journal that documents every tidbits of our wedding preparation as we savour every moment of it.

    W@Wies & N@Wies

    Credits

      Distributed by:
    Template copyright :
    V4NY ONLY TEMPLATES
    Powered by :
    Powered by Blogger